Tuesday, February 25, 2014

A Hobbit's Life


"Perfection consists in submitting unreservedly to the designs of God, and in fulfilling the duties of one's state in the most perfect manner possible. To compare the different states as they are in themselves can do nothing to improve us since it is neither in the amount of work, nor in the sort of duties given to us that perfection can be found." - Jean-Pierre de Caussade, Abandonment to Divine Providence
 This quote jumped out at me because of the Scripture at Mass on Sunday. It echoes St. Therese to me as well. I have to keep reminding myself that I can do little things for the glory of God. I have a tendency to look at what others are doing and feeling as though I am not doing enough, like God leaves all the work to His feisty ones. But I am not feisty. I am slow to move, more likely to endlessly contemplate a problem than to act to change it. I always think that my phlegmatic temperament is a huge handicap, and it probably does come with tendencies and habits which should be sometimes resisted. I've wished that I was more like St. Peter who seems to act before thinking. But I suppose that God has created us phlegmatics for some reason, and I that the best I can do is to use what God has given me without coveting the responsibilities that are more suited to others. We can't all be cholerics. That would be intense.

Today I suppose I can discover perfection in getting breakfast out in time for my husband to eat it before work (check!), being patient with Lillian (pending!), doing a load of laundry and putting it away, doing the dishes, sweeping the floor, praying. Seems to be a hobbit's life for me (at least for now)!


2 comments:

  1. The name of your blog intrigued me (I saw it on Jen's link-up), so I'm glad I clicked your link and read this post. I loved that quote you shared! Happy 7 posts in 7 days!! :)

    ReplyDelete