Friday, December 20, 2013

7 Quick Takes (volume 3): 7 Gifts



All month I've been thinking about joy and gratitude over little things, so in this QT I'd like to feature some of the gifts which have delighted me today!

1.

I went to the thrift store with all the cash I had: $1.35. Here's what I got with $0.10 left over!


A shirt and some brand-new looking pants for Lillian and Jan Karon's Shepherd's Abiding. The book will be traveling to cheer a friend who lives in Wyoming at a job she hates in a town she hates.


Seriously, how cute is that? Roses keep coming to me.

2.


I also crafted some earrings to send to the same friend as well as...

3.


...knit her a neck-warmer with big foofy yarn and a fat cable running across it. She says the people in Wyoming are immune to cold weather. She isn't.

4.


I found myself a new bandana in my favorite color: green! It doesn't look that great in the picture, but it is making me happy today! I frequently wear bandanas on my head, especially when cooking. Hair net, yo!

5.

St. Elizabeth of Portugal
I followed the lead of a certain Catholic Librarian and let the Saint's Name Generator choose my family a patron saint for the year. I said an earnest little prayer before pushing the "show me my saint" button, and feel that God really, really heard that prayer. Some of her patronages include difficult marriages and third order Franciscans. I have been praying lately about whether to join a third order, so maybe this is an answer as well. I don't know about that, but I do love my Franciscans. I named my daughter after St. Clare of Assisi and Mother Angelica who is a Poor Clare. One of my husband's and I first outings together was an art class field trip to a Franciscan mission in San Antonio. I look forward to getting to know her!

6.


Going in another direction, I recently checked out Tomie DePaola's book, Holy Twins about Saints Benedict and Scholastica. The artwork makes me soooo happy. It's gorgeous!

7.

 
I am almost at the end of my novena to Our Lady of Guadalupe and have to say, I'm sad to see it end! Plus, isn't this candle beautiful?

For more Quick Takes, back to Jen!

No comments:

Post a Comment