Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Five Favorites


My last couple of posts have been a little dour, so here's some of my favorites to lighten it up!

1. 
Royals



I almost never listen to pop radio so I am not too familiar with the original song, but I love this re-make. The sad clown is perfect and I can actually identify with the message.

2.
The 'One Thing' Is Three


I've been slowly making my way through The 'One Thing' is Three by Father Michael Gaitley and let me just say--it's fantastic! The thing I love about Fr Gaitley's writing is that he explains these heavy mysteries in a way that a distracted person with a short attention span can understand. At first I was a little put off by the conversational style of the book, but it turned out to be very beneficial because Fr. Gaitley says, "Remember....?" just when I need to be refocused.

3.
Sourdough Starter

I recently pulled my sourdough starter out of the fridge after months and months of disuse and discovered that it was pretty much dead. Womp, womp, wooooooomp. When I started that one I used regular bread yeast. I've now convinced myself that using regular bread yeast isn't hard core enough, and yet the old fashioned way of setting the dough on the counter and just waiting for any old wild yeast to come make its home in it doesn't appeal to me either. I've read that often a sourdough starter will not attract a good-tasting yeast and you have to start over again. LUCKILY a man named Carl Griffith kept a handed-down sourdough starter from 1847 when his family traveled the Oregon Trail. Even more luckily, you can send a self-addressed stamped envelope to Carl's friends and they will send you some of that starter. As a kid who played the Oregon Trail tirelessly on the computer, this is a dream come true. I haven't requested my starter yet, but it's definitely on my to-do list! 

4. 
Flip Diaper Covers


I use Flip diaper covers with pre-folds almost exclusively with my Lillian and have always been super happy with how they performed. I can't say that I've compared them with anything other than Thirsties covers, and I liked those as well. The only reason my Flips get my highest recommendation is that my Lilly has grown out of the Thirsties and I've found that for my money that Flips have been a better investment. I use disposables at night and sometimes when traveling and have found them to be almost useless in the face of runny breastmilk poo under pressure. That was gross, but yeah. My prefolds and covers work wonders with that, especially when I do a jelly roll fold!

5. 
Mexican Coke


I love to get my hands on a Mexican coke because these are made with real sugar rather than high fructose corn syrup. They also come in a glass bottle which has a cap that you need to use a bottle opener to remove. It feels like a real luxury every time I drink one. Especially with salty popcorn. I also like to use the empty bottle for a vase! 

Thanks for reading!


Back to Moxie Wife for more favorites!

No comments:

Post a Comment